Tuesday, March 9, 2010

More Adventures



I'm getting much better with my house manners although I don't understand why I can't run and jump inside, too (I have lots of energy). I did hear her say something about being thankful that I was finally adjusting and actually stopping to rest every now and then.

More stuff I've learned:


  • When riding in the car, I have to stay in the backseat --EVEN when we are at the drive-thru and a cheeseburger is headed our way (don't understand that one, but OK).

    Oliver! That is not the back seat. OK, so he gets in the driver's seat when I leave the car but he stays in the back when I'm driving.


  • I have to quit bothering Pete because he doesn't have as much energy as me (I haven't fully mastered this one). I just love him so much, it's hard.


  • I can only pee outside. Well, I'm still learning this so I have to stay on a leash inside but I learn fast so it shouldn't be too much longer.

Things we have learned about Oliver:



  • Cats are OK - he hardly notices the resident cat. A few sniffs here and there and he keeps on going --even if she bounces by him.


  • Oliver should carry a sign that says "Will do anything for food" (he will).


  • Very trainable: will sit or lie down if asked ...or if he wants something :)


  • Would do best with a dog that can match his activity level. Hasn't shown any aggression towards other dogs and is totally submissive towards Pete (our Pit/LabX).


  • Reflections fascinate him --but not his own. I find him staring at me in a mirror or reflection in a window:




  • Not at all food-aggressive. I can feed treats (chicken) to all dogs in the room and he will wait patiently for his turn (once he figured out he wasn't getting treats until he was calm). He takes food very gently from your hand.


  • Will be loyal (wants to be by my side always...well, unless Pete is around) and protective. Only 48 hours here and already barking a warning when visitors arrive. Of course, once they get to the door, he is all wags.


  • Very vocal - will talk to you. And he howls (not everyone finds this endearing - my husband thinks it's "cool") -- must be the cattle dog in him.


  • He prefers being outside (but that may just be because that is where Pete retreats) and, so far, doesn't really care for plush doggie beds.


  • He likes tennis balls but prefers more than anything to play with Pete.

No comments:

Post a Comment